My Summer as a Networks Intern at Hughes
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started as a Networks Intern at Hughes, but as the summer program comes to a close, I am filled with gratitude for what I have learned and excitement for what is to come. I gained invaluable professional experiences over the course of this internship and have grown so much as a person.
As I reflect back on this experience, here are just a few of the incredible professional strides I’ve made:
- Hands-on Linux Experience: From understanding the inner workings of open-source systems to mastering command-line operations and server management, my hands-on experience with Linux has been foundational, and something I couldn’t replicate in the classroom.
- Database Management: Working with Oracle Database and MySQL has equipped me with the skills to navigate data management, modeling, and SQL querying confidently.
- Python Prowess: Through Python and Flask, I dove into the world of backend development, routing, and web application deployment, sharpening my programming prowess.
- Design & UI: Creating web pages using HTML and CSS taught me the art of front-end development, design principles, and optimizing user interfaces.
- Automation: Automating tasks with shell scripting boosted efficiency and reduced manual intervention across various processes.
- Time Mastery: Learning to set up cronjobs – software code that enables scheduling and automation -- allowed me to efficiently schedule recurring tasks, ensuring the timely execution of vital operations.
Throughout this internship, I’ve had the opportunity to delve into a diverse spectrum of technologies that have broadened my technical horizons. Beyond improving my technical skills, I’ve grown personally and learned how to navigate working in a corporate setting, including:
- Applying Theory to Reality: Applying theoretical knowledge from my academic journey to real-world scenarios has deepened my understanding of these technologies and their seamless integration.
- Professional Growth: The internship has nurtured vital professional skills like effective communication, team collaboration and adept project management. Immersed in a corporate environment, I've honed my ability to interact with team members and superiors.
- Documenting Success: Documentation became second nature, revealing the importance of maintaining project continuity and aiding future development.
- Presentation Skills: Sharing my work with a larger audience improved my public speaking skills, boosting my confidence in conveying complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Time Management: Balancing multiple projects underscored the significance of time management. I am proud to say I now excel in prioritizing tasks and meeting deadlines.
As I head back to school for my final year of college, I am energized to take all that I have learned this summer and apply it to my future educational and professional career. I extend my heartfelt gratitude to everyone at Hughes for their guidance, support, and encouragement throughout this journey.