Hughes HR4860 Secure SD-WAN Gateway
Designed for Distributed Enterprises
Traditionally, enterprises have deployed firewalls, routers, and independent WAN optimization platforms at their branch locations. Hughes has combined next-generation firewall security, routing, broadband optimization, plus SD-WAN functionality into one easy-to-deploy and manage platform, that serves as the cornerstone for the Hughes managed network solution. This single box solution offers dramatic cost savings over multiple box solutions.
SD-WAN with Broadband Optimization
The Hughes SD-WAN solution for distributed enterprises is powered by the ActiveTechnologies™ software suite on the HR4860. The key elements of the ActiveTechnologies suite are ActiveQoS™, ActiveClassifier™, ActiveCompression™, and ActivePath™.
- ActivePath enables an always-on, secure SD-WAN overlay for multipath support. It applies Intelligent Path Control and Adaptive Multipath FEC to steer critical apps to the optimal path and where necessary, replicates data to ensure application performance. ActivePath also accounts for metered broadband connections like 4G/LTE.
- ActiveQoS dynamically characterizes broadband connections based on bandwidth, latency, and packet loss. This real-time circuit monitoring allows ActiveQoS to apply dynamic QoS and flow control to critical applications, ensuring mission-critical services are always available and operating as required.
- ActiveCompression provides optimal compression and byte-level caching across the WAN, adding virtual bandwidth to improve performance.
- ActiveClassifier automatically identifies and prioritizes individual applications based on their traffic behavior without using DPI. It requires no application-specific configuration and is able to automatically recognize new apps without configuration changes. ActiveClassifier also uses predictive classification to streamline repeat visits and can set priority based on selected domains and Cloud/SaaS applications.
Zero Touch Provisioning
The HR4860 platform features Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP), which dramatically simplifies deployment and installation. ZTP allows the platform to be provisioned and configured automatically, eliminating the need for manual configuration by an onsite technician. This feature greatly reduces installation time and reduces human error.
The HR4860 incorporates Fortinet’s industry-leading security solutions to provide security for the network and user information. Powered by FortiOS, it delivers effective, efficient, and comprehensive security, enabling Hughes to provide integrated next-generation firewall capabilities, including:
- Intrusion Detection/Prevention
- Data Leak Prevention
- Application Control
- Web Content Filtering
- Security Log Management and Reporting
All security policies are managed centrally for rapid deployment to the edge with consistent configurations, so branches can operate with more security and control without sacrificing network performance.
HR4860 Hardware Overview
The HR4860 is powered by a quad-core RISC CPU, using Fortinet’s SoC3 SPU content and network processors. Two cores are dedicated to running the SD-WAN/ActiveTechnologies suite, while the other two support the Fortinet NGFW and UTM capabilities. The HR4860 is sized ideally for use in branch sites, and as a single platform solution it is much easier to maintain and deploy than traditional multiunit solutions. The platform is also available with an integrated Wi-Fi access point in the HR4860W.
Fortinet SoC3 SPU
Quad-Core, 1 GHz
128 GB SSD
|Number of firewall policies||
|Number of firewall zones||20|
|Form factor||Desktop: Fanless|
|Certifications||ICSA Labs: Firewall, IPSec, IPS, Antivirus, SSL VPN|
|Compliance||FCC Part 15 Class B, C-Tick, VCCI, CE, UL/cUL, CB|