On February 27, 2019, signals from the first six OneWeb satellites were confirmed, marking a historic moment for the space industry and full global communications coverage. Those were the first Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites launched as part of OneWeb’s plan to build a network capable of delivering a unique combination of high data throughput, low latency, and true global coverage to the poles. Now, four years later, the constellation of 684 LEO satellites is complete.
Hughes has a unique relationship with OneWeb. Not only are we an investor in the program, but we also built the system gateways and are supplying 10,000 Hughes LEO Terminals to enable networking services for enterprise and government customers. The terminals include the innovative Hughes electronically steerable antenna (ESA) and support fixed, land mobile, maritime, as well as business and commercial aviation applications. Single and double configurations provide high performance for any application while supporting seamless handovers. Hughes is also a preferred OneWeb partner for delivering LEO Satellite Service from the constellation―and the only provider that can also deploy a full spectrum of other managed services in tandem with LEO services, including Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN), digital signage, Virtual Private Networking (VPN) and cybersecurity services.
For public- and private-sector enterprises, Hughes Managed LEO delivers:
- Dedicated capacity. Unlike other offerings, our LEO satellite internet capacity is 100% dedicated to enterprise services – you won’t have to worry about sharing best-effort capacity with consumer applications and users.
- Low latency, high performance. Because LEO satellites are close to Earth and orbiting at roughly 17,000 mph, not only do they produce stronger signals with faster response times, they deliver continuous connectivity around the globe.
- Guaranteed Service Level Agreements, with 24x7 monitoring and dedicated help desk support, come with the managed service when you buy it from Hughes – for high performance and peace of mind.
- Security. We have extensive experience designing practical cybersecurity solutions for highly distributed enterprises and can layer these services on top of a managed LEO deployment to protect your network.
- Flexibility. As a leading provider of enterprise connectivity with access to more than 1,000 global broadband partners of all types, Hughes can deliver high-performance network connections wherever you do business. With Hughes Managed LEO, you can expand your network to areas where alternative broadband options are less viable or unavailable altogether.
- One-stop simplicity. From network design and site implementation to help desk support and billing, Hughes is your one stop for LEO service, offering everything necessary for a managed LEO deployment. That includes terminals, capacity, network management and a variety of primary and backup plans designed to meet the individual needs of every business and government site.
Perhaps the greatest benefit to Hughes Managed LEO customers is the access to our more than 50 years of satellite expertise and industry leadership in both networking technologies and services. Our partnership with and technology innovations for OneWeb are just the most recent examples of how Hughes continually delivers global solutions that power a connected future for people, enterprises and things. Now, with the constellation complete, true global connectivity is within reach and Hughes Managed LEO is helping to make it happen.