HN9460 Satellite Router
|Dual Ka/Ku-band high-throughput satellite router with advanced adaptive LDPC coding|
The Hughes HN9460 is a new-generation, dual Ka-/Ku-band broadband satellite router designed for high-throughput satellite applications. The HN9460 incorporates advanced LDPC coding and other new features, making it the ideal platform to deliver even the most bandwidth demanding services on today’s Ka- and Ku-band satellites, while being future-proof for the next-generation, high-throughput systems.
High Throughput, High Efficiency, and Future Proof
Fully compliant with the industry-leading IPoS standard, the HN9460 is a powerful satellite router featuring high performance on both the DVB-S2/ACM forward channel, as well as the adaptive LDPC coding return channel. The adaptive coding on the return channel enables the unit to dynamically change FEC rates, burst-to-burst, based on link conditions, to achieve the highest throughput while maintaining high link availability. Through the combination of adaptive LDPC coding and a powerful processor, the HN9460 supports upstream burst rates of 3.6 Mbps, making the HN9460 an ideal platform for next-generation, high-throughput satellite systems.
To enable superior end-user performance, the HN9460 includes a full set of integrated Wide Area Network (WAN) optimization features. Accelerated TCP and HTTP performance features, including HTTP pre-fetch (objects are locally cached on the HN9460) along with DNS caching, enable fast Web browsing. Integrated header and packet payload compression both conserves bandwidth and contributes to high performance.
A full-featured IP router, the HN9460 supports a switching capacity up to 5,000 packets per second eliminating the need for an external router. IP routing and addressing features implemented in the HN9460 include the RIPV2 and BGP routing protocols, virtual router redundancy protocol (VRRP) with policy-based routing, DHCP server or relay, as well as network address translation (NAT) and port address translation (PAT). The HN9460 also handles end-to-end VLAN tags complying with the 802.1P and Q standards and each VLAN may be configured with its own quality of service (QOS). Government and enterprise users can be confident of the security of information running over the HN9460, as it uses a hardware-based conditional access system and optionally AES 256 encryption for user traffic.
Network operations are easy to perform as the HN9460 features an integrated Web server supporting a Web browser interface for commissioning and troubleshooting. Full-featured, built-in diagnostics provide historical information about network performance or error conditions. An integrated LAN sniffer eliminates the need for onsite presence during trouble-shooting. The HN9460 is centrally managed for software configurations and downloads.
Adaptive LDPC Coding
The HN9460 incorporates an innovative adaptive LDPC coding scheme on the return channel, developed by Hughes, enabling superior modem performance. The adaptive LDPC’s ability to run with minimal link margin results in maximum bandwidth efficiency. Additionally, the HN9460’s use of variable burst LDPC code block lengths sized to the amount of IP data to be transmitted further increases the return channel efficiency. Overall, the adaptive LDPC coding on the return channel yields more than 20 percent bandwidth efficiency improvement over competing systems.
- Adaptive LDPC coding on return channel
- MF/TDMA return channel with Aloha diversity
- DVB-S2 with Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM) on forward channel
- High throughput satellite router
- IPv6/IPv4 ready (able to download IPv6 software when available at a later date)
- Software and configuration updates via download from the NOC
- Implements Performance Enhancement Proxy (PEP) software to accelerate throughput performance by optimizing the TCP transmission over the satellite, delivering superior user experience and link efficiency
- Implements Hughes TurboPage® software to accelerate HTTP traffic for fast browser access
- Quality of Service (QoS) features include: IQoS (Inbound Quality of Service), bi-directional DSCP, and outbound bandwidth management.
- Secure Network Transmission with bi-directional IPSEC and AES-256 encryption (Optional)
- Configuration, status monitoring, and commissioning via the Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Acts as a local router providing:
- Static and dynamic addressing
- DHCP server or relay
- DNS caching
- Full RIPV2 and BGP routing support
- Multicasts to the LAN by using IGMP
- End-to-end VLAN support with configurable QOS per VLAN
- Firewall support through integrated access control lists
- Remote terminal management via the Hughes Vision® Network Management System or Unified Element Manager and SNMP
- Universal power supply supports international voltage ranges and frequencies and has a detachable power cord
- User-friendly LED display indicating terminal operational status